3 REASONS TO APPLY FOR A SUMMER INTERNSHIP NOW
1. Many internships will expire during the holiday season
Although internships are offered during the spring, summer, fall and winter, most students prefer summer internships because they are not in school and can focus on their job. However, this also makes summer internships more competitive, which means many summer internships have application deadlines that end during the holiday season. Some close even as early as late fall. The more competitive the internship, the sooner applications need to be submitted.
In addition, paid internships and internships with larger companies will have an earlier application deadline than internships for credit and internships with smaller companies. The earlier deadlines are all for good reasons. It gives employers sufficient time to review applications and select candidates for interviews in order to have their internships filled for the summer.
2. Some of the best internships are available now
Fall is a good starting point to target in order to apply in time for some of the best internships. For example:
- Applications for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) summer internship program is Oct. 15.
- The State Department summer internship deadline is Nov. 1.
- The New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Dallas Morning News all have fall application dates.
3. You might actually get the internship of your dreams now since few are applying
With this said, it might be safe to say that not many students are aware of such early deadlines when applying for summer internships. Further, not many students are thinking about summer internships during the holidays; most will begin to plan after the holidays are over. But they might miss out on the internship of their dreams.
According to Business Insider, the 10 highest-paying summer internships are:
- Facebook - monthly pay $8,000. Deadline to apply is Sept/Oct
- Microsoft - monthly pay $7,100. Deadline to apply is Fall
- ExxonMobil - monthly pay $6,507. Deadline to apply is August - November
- Salesforce - monthly pay $6,450. Applications begin in October
- Amazon - monthly pay is $6,400. No specific information on application deadlines, but the company receives thousands of applications, so the sooner the better for a summer internship.
- Apple - $6,400 per month. Begins posting summer internship jobs as early as May prior year.
- Bloomberg - $6,400 per month. Summer internship job postings start as early as July prior year.
- Yelp - Yelp hires about 150 interns each year. Pay is $6,400. Applications are now open.
- Yahoo - monthly pay is $6,080. Application deadline is August.
- VMWare - monthly pay is $6,080. Get application in before end of year or sooner as applications are reviewed in February for hiring interns.
"Typical" internship season start dates are:
Fall internships - typically start in September
Winter internships - typically start in November or December
Spring internships - typically start in January or February
Summer internships - typically start in May or June
Ready to start applying for 2018 summer internships? We have plenty. Start here. FindInternships.com